Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Game of My Life


The starting whistle pulls me away from my fears and the game starts. My mind is in the game and all the thoughts flood out of my head. This is it. It's the final game of the season and this game determines if we move up a league or move down a league. The nerves start to come back, but I immediately push them away knowing that if I let them in my head I have no chances of playing well. Before I know it the ball is at my feet and I'm dribbling down the field, looking around for someone wearing the white and green canton jersey to pass the ball to. Out of the corner of my eye I see one of my teammates running down the opposite side of the field and I quickly turn the ball around. I wined my foot back and hit the ball as hard as I can. The ball flies across the field and lands at my teammate's feet. She takes the ball to the middle of the field and with one last look around hits the ball straight into the back of the net. It's one to nothing!


After over an hour of playing the score was tied at two all. There was three minutes left to play and we were all felling the pressure. I got the ball and passed it over to our team's top scorer. She dribbled it down the field, shot, and missed. The other team took the goal kick. Now there was only one minute remaining. They took the kick and before their player could get to the ball, my team got it. I got the pass and shot it before I even had time to think about what I was doing. I turned to watch where the ball went, and the first thing I saw was the goalie fall to the ground. The ball rolled on the ground and within seconds it was placed in the far right corner of the net. Goal!! We all ran back to our places ready to defend our lead for the last 30 seconds of the game. Each second felt like a forever. The rest of the game was filled with sweat and screams from the other team's parents. Finally the final whistle blew and we had our victory. This was what I lived for, the thrill of playing a soccer game. After a long day of hard work on the field I got into my car ready to take the long ride home with my heart filled with joy and a smile across my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment